Example Use Cases for Tasker
Here are only some of the things you could do with Tasker, it's real power is the flexibility to combine contexts and tasks however you wish.
If you want pre-made projects that are ready to use get them here.
- keep my phone unlocked when at home and locked when I'm away
- use different launchers for when I'm at home and away
- Turn on my heater if it's less than 15 degrees outside
- Have a notification that when clicked shows a grid of movies on my Kodi box. When a movie is clicked it starts playing on my TV
- have a persistent notification when I'm at home with several useful buttons for lights, tv control, etc
- play video on youtube on my pc with command "play something on my PC"
- get a notification in the morning with today's and the following 3 days' weather
- turn on my lights when the sun sets
- turn off the living room lights 1 minute after I plug in my phone to the charger at night so I can have enough time to reach my bedroom
- wake up with a random song from your music collection
Away From Home
- Automatically reply my GPS location and map to my spouse when she sends "Where are you" through any messaging app
- turn on GPS when in Google Maps and off when not
- Send text to my wife with my location if my battery goes before 5% and I'm not home.
- Mute all audio on my phone if I'm near my work WiFi but not near my car Bluetooth or have my headset connected.
- start the day with a particular application showing
- track your phone location via SMS in case of theft
- Store your parking position when you park your car and create a notification that when clicked starts navigation to it
- Start playing podcasts when my phone connects to my car radio
- automatically reply to hangouts, whatsapp and allo messages when I'm in my car, saying that I'm driving
- When I say "time for bed" to my Google Home it starts playing a good night song and my lights go dim
- When I say "time for school" to Google home or phone assistant my phone starts playing my kids' favorite songs
- start fitness app when I say "time to workout"
- resume playing last played podcast by saying "podcasts" to google assistant
- watch content on netflix on my phone with a voice command like "play stranger things on netflix"
- automatically go into immersive mode when I'm in Chrome
- shortcut on my home screen to a specific Google Keep note (my work todo list)
- turn up screen brightness and enable rotate if a video app is open.
- passcode-lock sensitive applications (e.g. for child safety)
- pause music playback while in a particular application, restart on exit
- launch a music application or simply resume the last playing app when headphones are connected
- automatically send birthday wishes to my contacts
- setup a birthday SMS to be sent months before it happens so you don't forget
- setup a vacation SMS message, with different messages for different callers
Wear OS (Android Wear)
- press a button on my watch and do exactly what I need to do depending on the situation I'm in:
- If I'm at work during the day, it'll start playing Google Play Music
- If I'm on my lunch break, it'll play a podcast
- If I'm in my car it'll alternatively play music or podcasts (I like to listen to both on different occasions)
- If I'm at home in the evening it will turn on the lights at 100%
- If I'm at home at night it'll set the lights to a minimum
- At bedtime it'll turn off all lights execept one, keep that on for 1 minute, and turn it off (which gives me time to get to bed)
- take photos from my watch and preview on the watch
- turn off watch always on display if the battery gets low, enable theatre mode from my phone.
- Custom complication on my watch which opens a task menu when I tap it.
- If I unlock my phone with my index finger it unlocks normally, if I do it with my middle finger it unlocks directly to the camera
- have a quick setting tile that, when enabled, keeps your screen on indefinitely, for longer reading sessions
- Track my DHL packages with costumized notifications
- share an image to imgur from the share menu and copy its link to my clipboard
- remind me to take medicine when I'm sick with loud and annoying notifications that re-create themselves every 2 minutes until I swipe it away
- Log all phone calls into calendar
- Turn screen off if face down or inverted (on a table or on my pocket)
- Use volume buttons to start podcasts or Spotify, skip tracks, or scroll webpages, or open the camera.
- Read notifications over headset (texts, WhatsApp etc).
- Automatically set Bluetooth volume when connected.
- Custom buttons in the notification tray.
- custom navigation bar buttons (toggle notifications, toggle auto rotate, double tap to turn off display, stay split screen...)
- Start Spotify playlists from a shortcut menu.
- change phone settings by
- application: long screen timeout in a book reader
- time: screen brightness lower in the evening
- location: ringer volume high at the office, turn off keyguard at home
- Text-to-speech; read out loud: incoming SMS/ phone number, WiFi/Bluetooth status, when it's time for an appointment, when the battery is low etc etc
- launch a music application when your music SD card is inserted, otherwise a file browser
- change all your home icons and wallpaper every day, or in particular locations
- turn the phone upside down to return to the home screen, tilt 90 degrees to the left and back to toggle speakerphone during a call
- create a Home widget to
- toggle bluetooth/wifi on/off
- launch wireless settings dialog
- show a menu of tasks to choose
- send an emergency SMS with your GPS location
- remap camera etc buttons to other applications, or show a menu of applications and/or actions
- zip/unzip application data on the fly when an application is launched/exits
- change the Home icon for any application
- take a time-lapse photo series
- make a regular backup of a file on the SD card
- extend the use of the media button on your headset: take a picture from a distance or go to the previous media track with a long press
- record call times and destinations to the SD card
- show a popup when an SMS arrives from a particular phone number
- record battery levels over time to a file on SD card
- during the night, turn on airplane mode to conserve battery/reduce radiation, but turn it off every 15 minutes to check for SMS/voicemail.